lunes, 28 de noviembre de 2016

This is not garbage




Well, first of all, this post is not about a festivity, but it's about a very important date for me. I'm refering the last day of every month, because it's the date in which inhabitants of Santiago throw their old things, and many people recycle it, between them, me. I'm not sure about the origin of this day, but certainly during the dictatorship (1973-1990) you couldn't just throw your garbage in the street, because the military were patroling all nights. So, the free recollection of useful old things must be started after that period. Six years ago, I was moving home, from Chillán to San Borja neighborhood in Santiago. I had no idea about this recycling day, and my new apartment was almost empty. I was worried about how to get the money to buy furnitures, when suddenly, a night, walking down Portugal avenue, I saw piles of old furnitures in each corner. Then, I collected a lamp, a table for my living room, a bedside table and a juice extractor, all of that in perfect condition and conservation. Since that moment, every end of months I explore the Santiago streets in search of something useful for my home. I like this days, really celebration days for me, because me and many people have the possibility to get things that in other way, we should buy, generating more garbage in this contaminated and sad world.

1 comentario:

  1. Seems to me an excellent initiative on the day of recycling, because it helps the environment

    ResponderEliminar